Friday, May 24, 2013

Savory French Toast




I was craving something salty yesterday morning, but couldn't decide what to whip up. I came to a brilliant idea to make french toast. We make this toast at our house every year for new year's eve. It has become a tradition in our family. So when my mum saw me making savory french toast she asked why am I doing this winter dish in the middle of May? The thing is I hate when someone calls a dish a winter/summer dish. You can eat any dish any time, no matter what season. Or my grandma, she always makes casseroles in winter, never in summer and even if someone asks her to do it she says it is not a summer dish. Where does that come from?!
Anyways, this savory french toast is such a great breakfast or even dinner, and I love to make it for a party snack too. Everyone loves the pizza flavored bread and the cheese on top. Heaven. Just heaven.

You need:
12 slices bread of choice
½ cup butter
½ cup ham, cut small
2 table spoons olives, cut into halves
1 cup grated cheese
½ cup sour cream
An egg
Salt and pepper to taste

Prepare a baking tray and line it with parchment paper. Arrange the bread slices on the tray and butter the bread. Set aside. In a medium sized bowl mix together the egg and sour cream. Add the ham, olives and cheese and mix well. Put a spoonful of the mixture onto every bread slice and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven on 200°C for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments so feel free to leave one.
Thank you for stopping by The Cake Baby!